Houseplants are trendier than ever and for good reason. Not only are they nice to look at, but there may be some health benefits to having them in your home too. Healthline offers a few science-backed health benefits such as reducing stress, increasing productivity and improving indoor air quality. But if you have children and/or pets at home, you should be wary of some houseplants on the market.
While most adults know not to ingest decorative plants, young children and pets might mistakenly ingest them due to curiosity. This is why it’s important to know which ones are safe and which ones could cause harm to your little ones. With this in mind, let’s take a look at 12 houseplants that are toxic to children and pets!
Philodendrons are one of the most popular houseplants and that’s likely because they’re so easy to grow and take care of. Unfortunately, they’re poisonous to not only pets but to humans too. The plant contains a toxin in its leaves, called calcium oxalate.
Eating this plant can cause the lips, tongue, and throat to burn and swell. If your infant or pet eats the plant they may also experience vomiting and diarrhea. Philodendrons grow vines of several feet so if you insist on having this plant in your home, make sure you keep it far from the floor.