Mold is ever present in our lives—it’s in the air we breathe and it grows quite naturally on many of the foods we eat. Rightly so, a large majority would shy away from eating foods gone moldy (i.e., hot dogs, bread, or strawberries) due to the presence of harmful bacteria. However, in some cases mold is safe to eat, according to doctors at the University of Georgia’s, Center for Food Safety and the experts at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
These six foods that are quite safe to eat, even if they contain a few moldy spots…
Proof that not all molds are created equal is quite evident in your favorite cheese. For instance, blue or veined cheeses—such as blue cheese, Gorgonzola, Stilton, and Roquefort—require mold spores (i.e., Penicillium roqueforti) as part of their vital manufacturing process. While soft cheeses like Camembert and Brie are covered in evident, white surface mold, which is considered quite safe to eat by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
If you’re a frequent cheese connoisseur, you know what the molds on these cheeses should look like. If they develop odd or wild mold spots, use the “eat around it rule” and cut the mold off on hard cheeses. However, you should discard soft moldy cheeses altogether as wild mold is not considered safe to eat.